Ideation – Visualization – Creation – Realization
noun: Chad Winks
definition: A business and product development expert, with over 19 years experience ranging from start-ups to multi-billion dollar corporate and collegiate institutions, assisting them in achieving their business and user experience objectives in emergent and disruptive innovation strategies.
synonyms: Ideation, digital innovator, user experience architect, user interface designer, workshop facilitator, public speaker, project manager, multimedia producer, educator
- Innovation Strategy
- UX Analysis
- Rapid Prototyping
- User Interface Design
- UX Development
- Participatory Workshops
- Identity / Branding
- Agile & Lean Methodology
- Project Management
- UX Reviews
The Process of Innovation
Proven methods for creating new, and enhancing existing products and websites, begin with knowing your business strategies, coupled with knowing your user objectives. The process of discovering the best way to execute has become both a science and an art. The idea is to build with your user at the center, validating usability and viability as quickly as possible. From rapid prototyping in “Lean” strategies, to detailed UX exercises in Agile strategies, I have experienced and managed many effective products and businesses. It’s all about knowing what you want to do, visualizing it, validating it, and then executing in a way that maximizes your success quickly.
MANAGING CONSULTANT – INNOVATION STRATEGY, UX
2016 – PRESENT
As one of the lead product ideation, formulation and User Experience experts in one of the largest global consulting firms, I have the privilege of working in our Financial Services practice, introducing thought leadership and formulating effective product development strategies. Clients range from some of the most recognizable multi-billion dollar financial institutions in banking and insurance, to large start-ups within that space. From introducing our capabilities in sales presentations, detailed digital roadmapping, and in ‘lean’ and agile strategy, to inception exercises and implementation, I managed many successful teams and initiatives.
- Lead sales presentations and workshops on product development methodology, strategies and capabilities for executives and management.
- Define implementation strategies for large-scale digital initiatives
- Work on a variety of large applications including custom Underwriter management systems, multi-channel digital cohesion, blockchain POC’s, API Sandbox development, customer portals, Guidewire implementations, investment advisor apps, and more.
- Involved in defining and working every phase of the UX and UI spectrum and managed teams across clients in a variety of multi-million dollar mobile and web applications
VICE PRESIDENT of PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, REFLECTIVE PRACTICES
2014 – 2016
As a Venture Capital firm, I oversaw the formation, design and development of the entire portfolio of products. I worked with start-ups in idea development, branding, UX development cycles, interface structure, mobile and web application design, lean startup strategies, online marketing strategies and campaigns, marketing collateral, and product evolution. I organized and managed project and product managers, marketing, design, and development teams worldwide.
- Grew the company’s portfolio from 6 to 35 products (583%) in 20 months, 83% of the projects being mobile apps.
- Managed a robust outsourcing solution that saved the company over three million dollars.
- Worked with over 30 product owners to refine and develop their ideas to qualify for joint venture agreements.
- Conducted UX walkthroughs, reviews and participatory design activities
- Created hi-definition mockups and functional prototypes.
USER EXPERIENCE ARCHITECT/SR WEB DESIGNER, STAYWELL
2011 – 2014
I oversaw and developed the User Experience and User Interface designs for all Krames Staywell products, which included 12 multimillion dollar health education and technology products used by clients such as Johns Hopkins, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Chrysler, Harvard Medical, University of Utah, Intermountain Healthcare and more. I assisted Executives, Product Managers, Project Managers, Developers, Marketers and Sales teams to ensure the best possible user experience across all products.
- Conducted all phases of the UX cycle (Analysis, personas, journeys, wireframes, reviews, interface designs and prototypes)
- Worked closely with Project and Product managers, and executive teams to implement best UX and UI practices
- Worked closely with and trained designers and developers in front-end development practices and procedures.
OWNER, WINKS DESIGN
2000 – 2011
As an independent consultant business owner, I have been passionate about assisting businesses in seeing their visions spring to life.
Many projects have been in large and small organization development, such as a dance studio, health spa, major network marketing management systems, payment gateways, non-profits, universities, social networks, health care, localization, video production studios, home builders, investors, accountants, sales teams, marketers, app developers and more.
- Specialized in ideation, with user-centric approaches to new business and product development
- Created identity and branding, marketing collateral, and sales presentations
- Created website and social media designs
- Produced animations and promotional videos
- Guest professor and lecturer at Universities and Corporations
- Consulted and worked with corporate designers and design teams on best UX and UI practices and solutions
CREATIVE DIRECTOR, @INTERNATIONAL SERVICES/TRANSLATE YOUR WORLD
2007 – 2011
As Creative Director, I led all aspects of visual and User Experience design for their localization and translation business and products. Many of the localization applications are used by ESPN, Verizon, UPS, Cartoon Network, the World Trade Organization, IBM, CNN, and many other technology, education and healthcare companies worldwide
- Designed and developed voice, video and print translation applications for translators and consumers
- Created customized subtitle and closed-captioned video players
- Conducted User Experience reviews and tests with clients
- Developed identity and branding for all of the company’s brands and divisions, including websites and marketing collateral
GRAPHIC DESIGNER/VIDEO PRODUCER, UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY
2000 – 2002
- Created graphics, layouts and comics for the school newspaper
- Produced and edited the Video Entertainment segment of the school news broadcast
- Wrote the entertainment column for the school newspaper
- Worked with the school’s marketing team on advertisements and other promotional designs
Utah Valley University
Orem, UT 2000 – 2002: Multimedia
Idaho State University
Pocatello, ID 1996-1997: Design
Board of Advisors – UX
Eagle Gate College, Salt Lake City, Ut
Board of Advisors – UX
Provo College, American Fork, Ut
Guest Professor, Web Design
Provo College – 2o12
Guest Lecturer – BYU Hawaii
UX, Entreprenuership, gamification – 2015-2016
(Please download Chad’s resume for additional references and contact information)
Chad and I have worked together on design projects since mid-1998. Over the past almost two decades we’ve done 200+ projects and have worked at several companies together. In my professional career I have created with hundreds of designers and, without doubt, Chad is the best. His creativity stretches beyond expectations, and if you allow him, he will always create something better than what was originally wanted. With every designer you are not going to get what you want on the first try, but unlike most designers Chad is willing to work with you until you are completely satisfied. No matter what you pay for Chad’s services you are getting a bargain!
Chad Winks worked as the lead UI/UX designer for my Product Development Team for about 2 1/2 years. Chad led the design efforts for both major product upgrades and brand new product concepts. He owned the UX process from start to finish which included conceptualizing, designing, end-user testing, and final design delivery. Chad’s work was impeccable at all stages of the process. His strong communication skills, along with his breadth to be both creative and technical, enable him to work seamlessly with both end-users and developers. His creativity and skill are amazing but his empathy for the user is what sets him apart. He wants to take care of the user, he pushes for what’s right for the user, and the product is better as a result. I would highly recommend Chad and if given the opportunity I would work with him again in a second.
Chad is perhaps the most innovative creative director, web designer, and web/flash programmer whom our company has had the privilege to engage. He has the ingredients so vital to any company’s success – artistic brilliance added to the ability to design, program, and execute solutions without peer in the marketplace. Nothing he creates is ordinary – his creations are all extraordinary, with the end effect being success to the organization to which he lends his skills. It is not every day that we write such a recommendation.
(See Chad’s resume for details and contact information)
(See Chad’s resume for details and contact info)